Monday, July 16, 2018

Kerry Tharp #11 on the 2018 Covered Bridge Art Studio Tour stop Oct. 12-14th

As a mosaic artist, I “paint” both abstract and representational nature scenes, using tiny pieces of stained art glass.  Why glass?  I’ve been amazed by its beauty and transparency since admiring the stained-glass windows of my hometown church.  I started out creating glass mosaics, with the intent of ‘progressing’ into stained glass artistry.  While I have learned the art of stained glass, I found it too restrictive after experiencing the liberty that mosaics offers as a method. 
I have two bodies of work.  My abstract pieces include bold use of color.  Careful attention is given to the choice and placement of tesserae in attempt to achieve a harmonious flow (andamento).  Inspired by the glass itself, I join colors and patterns of glass that I love and want to see together in a collage.   I lay them out, similarly to piecing a quilt.    My representational pieces, often landscapes, are loose but realistic in color.  They are an attempt at ‘painting’ with glass and creating brushstrokes by thoughtful placement of tesserae; shape and form by color and line.
From my photographs, I draw a general sketch, sometimes painting the scene as a watercolor to further develop it.  Wheel nippers and a scoring tool/running pliers are used to hand-cut and shape the glass tesserae.  Much time and precision goes into the tedious cutting and placement of tesserae.  Though some have called this “a lot of work”, for me it is an incredibly meditative pastime and there is a satisfaction to be found in bringing forth exactly what I am envisioning.  I use direct method mosaic and finish with grout.  In addition to art glass, I will incorporate mirror; hand-tumbled or beach stones; hand-built, kiln-fired clay pieces.




Feel Free to Visit me at my website for more info on my work, 
Click on my website:  mosaicsbykerry.com


No comments:

Post a Comment