Thursday, September 15, 2016

Ilze Heider #7 on the 2016 Covered Bridge Art Studio Tour stop Oct 7-9th




 Leather has been my main medium for over 40 years. Starting with the funky unstructured fringe bags and garments of the late 1960’s, I strive to create and discover new techniques and styles to keep the look of my pieces fresh and timeless.

Handbags have become my main focus . I work mostly with cowhide for the main body of the bag, seeking new colors and color combinations. Each bag is embellished with a unique design.

Taking unfinished calfskin, I burn in a basic pattern on the leather, each piece different from the next. The piece is then painted with bright colors, sealed, gold leafed, and sealed again. This piece is then sewn onto the bag , sometimes with fringe and glass and clay or metal beads for added interest. All the bags are lined and have interior pockets added.

Some other appliqués used are block prints on leather, cut out and stitched onto the bag, often with additional painting on the piece. The blocks are hand made. I also do some embossed appliqués. These are photo etched plates made from my black and white artwork.. These plates are pressed into wet unfinished calfskin, dyed with layers of leather dye to match the bag unto which it is then stitched.

In addition to the many handbag styles I make, I also do accessories such as check book covers, card cases and planners.

I believe my work emits the pleasure and energy I put into it.





No comments:

Post a Comment